Monday, May 7, 2012

hindrances to becoming peace

In our Cyber Course for experienced meditators we are working, just this week, with investigation of the primary qualities of mind that inhibit happiness and ease of being. We are also being aware of times when these hindrances are absent. Feel free to spend a week with each category -  no matter how much experience you have.

It is important to remember that these qualities, though referred to as hindrances, are very common conditions of the human mind. The idea is not to get rid of the experience, but to become aware of it. An aware mind is no longer inhibited by any quality of mind quality or experience.  It sees things as they are and acts accordingly as is appropriate in the moment.

"If sensual desire is present in [me],
[I know] 'there is sensual desire in me';
if sensual desire is not present in  [me] ,
[I know]  'there is no sensual desire in me';
...

"If aversion is present in  [me] ,
[I know]  'there is aversion in me';
if aversion is not present in  [me] ,
[I know]  'there is no aversion in me';
...

"If sloth-and-torpor is present in [me] ,
[I know]  'there is sloth-and torpor in me';
if sloth-and-torpor is not present in [me] ,
[I know]  'there is no sloth-and-torpor in me';
...

If restlessness-and-worry is present in  [me] ,
[I know]  'there is restlessness-and-worry in me';
if restlessness-and-worry is not present in  [me] ,
[I know]  'there is no restlessness-and-worry in me';
...

"If doubt is present in  [me] ,
[I know]  'there is doubt in me';
if doubt is not present in  [me] ,
[I know]  'there is no doubt in me';
....

Satipatthana Sutta (with my adaptations for practice purposes)



For comments about applying this practice in your personal and professional life see the blog From Drudgery to Joy on consciousdynamics.com